Alabama State scored four runs in the eighth inning to walk off Jackson State 12-2 in eight innings in a Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) contest on Friday night.
Alabama State (13-13, 5-2 SWAC) had dropped four of their last five games until Breon Pooler (Huntsville, Ala.) took the mound against the Tigers. Pooler (5-0) pitched a complete game and allowed just two runs while scattering eight hits and striking out six. He used a pair of big innings (fourth and eighth) to his advantage and keep Jackson State off balance.
Corey King (Lithonia, Ga.) finished 2-for-6 with four RBI including a walk-off double to the gap to end the game, while Chris Lewis (Alabaster, Ala.) finished 2-for-4 with three runs scored. Angel Jimenez (Santo Domingo, DR) finished 2-for-5 with two RBI, while Trenton Jamison (Atlanta, Ga.) picked up a pair of hits.
How It Happened
- T1 | Ty Hill drove in the game’s first run to center (Jackson State, 1-0).
- B1 | Jimenez singled up the middle to score Lewis (1-1).
- T2 | Jackson State used a squeeze off the bat of Devontae Rhodes to take the lead (Jackson State, 2-1).
- T4 | Jabronski Williams (Troy, Ala.) drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in the first run of the inning for the Hornets before King reached on a fielder’s choice to give Alabama State the lead. Lewis singled to center before Hunter May (Slidell, La.) drove in a pair on a double (6-2, Alabama State).
- B6 | Jimenez reached on a fielding error to bring in a run before Christian Lopez (San Diego, Calif.) walked with the bases loaded (Alabama State 8-2).
- B8 | Jimenez doubled to center to score May before Jamison singled through the right side. King walked off the Tigers with a double to left center for the final two runs of the game (Alabama State 12-2).