Grambling State Sports Information
GRAMBLING, La. – The Grambling State University baseball team used an eight-run first inning and sent 12 batters to the plate as the Tigers began a five-game homestand with a 12-5 victory over Alcorn State on Tuesday night at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park.
The Tigers (9-8) plated eight runs on seven hits in the bottom of the first inning to take an 8-0 advantage.
D’Quan Matthews and Garret Smith walked to start the frame. Marshawn Taylor singled up the middle to load the bases. Richard Ortiz followed with a double to left center to plate Matthews and Smith, while Taylor advanced to third. Taylor came across to score on a wild pitch as the Tigers led 3-0 off Alcorn State starting pitcher Tyler Smith.
With no outs and still in the first inning, Isaiah Torres singled up the middle as Ortiz scored. Withone down, Torres stole second and came across to score when Drexler Macaay singled to left center. Trevin Bolden singled to left as Bolden stopped at second. Kristian Franklin walked to load the bases for the second time in the frame.
After a pitching change, Matthews, batting for the second time in the inning, singled up the middle to plate Macaay, Smith followed with a two-RBI single to left as Franklin and Bolden scored. However, the inning ended when Taylor struck out, but the damage had been done with eight runs.
Grambling State added one run in the third, but Alcorn State (5-9) tacked on five runs in the fourth and fifth innings to cut the deficit to 10-5.
The Tigers added some insurance runs with one run in the sixth and one in the seventh for the 12-5 victory.
Inside The Numbers
* Grambling State scored 12 runs on 15 hits, with three errors and left nine on base.
* Garrett Smith led the Tigers at the plate with three hits.
* D’Quan Matthews, Drexler Macaay and Trevin Bolden recorded two hits apiece.
* Ace Felder, Marshawn Taylor, Richard Ortiz, Isaiah Torres, Rafael Ramirez III and Kristian Franklin each recorded one hit.
* Christian Marquez (3-0) gave up five runs on six hits and fanned two in seven innings to pick up the win.
* Daniel Wilson and Kaelin Woodward pitched in relief.
* The Braves finished with five runs on seven hits and stranded eight base runners.
* Justin Barna finished with two hits for Alcorn State.
* Tyler Smith (1-1) took the loss in 0.1 innings pitched. He gave up eight runs on five hits and walked four.
News and Notes
* Grambling State has now registered three games of scoring double-digit runs.
* Alcorn State completed a triple play in the bottom of the fifth inning.
* The Tigers have won back-to-back games for the first time in the month of March.
Grambling State will continue a two-game non-conference series with Alcorn State on Wednesday at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.